Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana, syn. Cochlearia armoracia) is a perennial plant of the family Brassicaceae (which also includes mustard, wasabi, broccoli, cabbage, and radish). It is a root vegetable, cultivated and used worldwide as a spice and as a condiment. The species is probably native to southeastern Europe and western Asia.
horse + radish
- enPR: hôrsʹrăd'ĭsh
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈhɔɹsɹædɪʃ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈhɔːsɹædɪʃ/
horseradish (countable and uncountable, plural horseradishes)
- (countable) A plant of the mustard family, Armoracia rusticana.
- (uncountable) A pungent condiment made from the root of the plant.
- (condiment): horseradish sauce