Vitex agnus-castus, also called vitex, chaste tree (or chastetree), chasteberry, Abraham's balm, lilac chastetree, or monk's pepper, is a native of the Mediterranean region. It is one of the few temperate-zone species of Vitex, which is on the whole a genus of tropical and sub-tropical flowering plants. Theophrastus mentioned the shrub several times, as agnos (άγνος) in Enquiry into Plants. It has been long believed to be an anaphrodisiac – leading to its name as chaste tree – but its effectiveness for such action remains unproven.
From the genus name Vitex, from Latin vītex.
vitex (usually uncountable, plural vitexes)
- Any of several species of the genus Vitex.
- Especially, Vitex rotundifolia, native to Pacific seashores in Asia and Oceania, widely introduced in similar environments.
- (Vitex rotundifolia): beach vitex
- vitex on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Vitex rotundifolia on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Vitex rotundifolia on Wikispecies.Wikispecies