Most people snore because they are congested. Allergies, smoking, colds, anything that irritates or inflames the breathing passages can lead to snoring.
Natural remedies that combat snoring
- Cayenne pepper is also useful in clearing out congestion. Take a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and place it in a glass of water. If you gargle with this mixture you should feel the heat in your throat. The pepper helps clear out the congestion by drawing blood to the throat.
- Honey is good for reducing inflammation and congestion in the body. Add honey to your favorite tea, or combine it with lemon juice and sip it throughout the day to alleviate the nasal congestion that can cause snoring. The mix of lemon juice and honey contain antibacterial properties.
- You can also create your own humidifier by using a pot and a towel. Put water in a pot and let it boil. When it comes to a boil, turn off the fire, place your face over the pot and inhale the steam. Placing a towel over your head traps the steam and gives you more steam to breathe in. This will help relieve your congested sinuses and you don’t have to spend any money.
- Essential oils can also be used to help with congestion. Essential oils come in a lot of different varieties, but basil, eucalyptus, and peppermint are commonly suggested. Applying basil oil to the chest 2 to 3 times a day will give relief of sinus congestion. Alternately, one can just inhale the aroma without placing it on the body and obtain the same results. Eucalyptus oil can be rubbed on the chest and under the nose to help clear sinuses. It can also be added to hot water and inhaled using the homemade humidifier. Peppermint oil can also be used by placing a few drops under the nose or adding a few drops to a humidifier.
- Lemon Balm, peppermint, and basil are herbs that can be used to combat congestion. Lemon Balm leaves can be placed in a glass of warm water and used as a gargle. This herb has antibacterial and antiviral properties. Drinking the juice from the boiled leaves gives even better results. peppermint leaves have anti-inflammatory properties and can be boiled in water, as with the others, and consumed as a tea. Lastly, Basil leaves can be boiled in water and this tonic can be consumed several times a day. Basil has antiseptic properties.
- Apple Cider Vinegar is touted as a cure for many things and can also help with nasal congestion. Two teaspoons diluted in 8 ounces of water can give immediate relief of sinus problems.